Re: Genetically Modifying other Mammals to be as Smart as Us [WAS Re: Syllabus for Seed Developer Qualifications]

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 19:43:16 MST

On 2/2/06, Kevin Osborne <kevin.osborne@gmail.com> wrote:

> have we previously considered genetically modifiying other mammals to
> achieve a greater level of global intelligence?

Would humans be more accepting of non-human animals raised to human
intelligence than of humans genetically altered to appear non-human?
Probably yes. Why is this?

Would humans be more accepting of non-human animals raised to human
intelligence, or ones raised to slightly below human levels? Which is
more problematic? It seems the latter would be more acceptable, but
would actually provide greater moral difficulty, since granting them
equal rights with humans might not be a good solution.

Would humans be more accepting of non-human animals raised to human
intelligence if they were free, or if they were enslaved?

- Phil