Re: AGI thoughts was[AGI Reproduction? (Safety)]

From: Rick Geniale (rickgeniale@pibot.com)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 06:43:42 MST

P K wrote:

>> From: "nuzz604" <nuzz604@gmail.com>
>> To: <sl4@sl4.org>
>> Subject: Re: AGI Reproduction? (Safety)
>> Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:15:20 -0800
>>
>> I understand that you have good intentions with AGI. My worry
>> involves -accidentally- creating an unfriendly AGI (And this worry
>> applies to anybody who builds an AGI). You can have good intentions
>> and still create an unfriendly AI because of some design flaw (even
>> if it appears to be a great design).
>

>> I am worried because no one really knows how a Seed AI will function
>> when it is turned on, and whether it will be friendly or not.
>

> The odds of randomly stumbling upon a working AGI are extremely small.
> AGI programming will most likely be a very deliberate process. In
> other words, if and when AGI is created, the builder(s) will most
> likely know exactly what they are doing.
>
>> There are so many things that can go wrong.
>

> Yes, but for an AGI to work, allot of things would have to go right.
> Why would builder(s) capable of overcoming the enormous technical
> challenges of making a working AGI succeed on all the other points and
> fail on that particular point; friendliness. I'm amazed at how, in SF,
> AGI creators are smart enough to build it but give goal systems so
> stupidly flawed that...(I know SF is just for entertainment, I'm
> trying to prove a point here.)
>
> The complexity of the task (AGI) is naturally selecting for builder(s)
> that have a clue.
>
> Do you have any particular reason to believe that the FAI problem is
> more complex than the AGI problem? Most people seem to believe that
> intuitively. This is due to two reasons.
> 1) It is easier to argue about FAI because it doesn't require as much
> technical knowledge. It is easier to grasp the complexity of the
> Friendliness problem first hand. It looks like a big thing to solve.
> 2) General intelligence seems kind of straightforward because we do it
> all the time however; doing it is definitely not the same as coding
> it. In fact, people systematically underestimate how complex AGI
> really is. There have been many that claimed to have the AGI solution.
> They have all failed todate. If you ever try coding an AGI you will
> very likely realize it is more complex than you originally thought.
>
> These two reasons cause people to focus on the FAI problem more than
> on the AGI problem. Which, in my opinion is a mistake at this stage.
>
> There is another twist to this. The FAI or UFAI concepts are mostly
> useless without AGI however; working on AGI will very likely help
> develop FAI theory.
> 1) AGI theory will give a clearer picture of how FAI can be
> technically implemented.
> 2) AGI work can have semi-intelligent tools as offshoots that, when
> combined with human intelligence, enhance it (ex: human + computer +
> Internet > human). We could then work on FAI theory more efficiently
> (and AGI aswell).

Finally somebody is hitting the target.
Also, the problem of the hard takeoff is fake. It has never existed. It
pertains only to SF (I will explain better this point on our site).

>> This is why I think that the system and its safety should be
>> analyzed, and go through at least several phases of testing before
>> activation is even considered.
>

> There will be plenty of testing all along the project. And there wont
> be just a single activation where the coders put some jargon together,
> compile and see what happens. (See above)
> Poof-> FAI -> YAY! ->JK ->UFAI ->NOO! ->R.I.P.

Totally agree.

>> I would also feel better if these tests are conducted by a team of
>> independent AGI researchers rather than just one firm, or RGE Corp.
>> by itself.
>

> The AGI coder(s) will be pre-selected for competence by the complexity
> of the task. The point is moot for evil coder(s) since they wouldn't
> agree for inspection anyway.
> How would the "independent AGI researchers" be selected? How would we
> know they are trustworthy and competent? I think this introduces more
> uncertainty than it removes.

But what evil coders? There is no evil coders (never existed). We are
simply a company formed by people that have done an hard work, that have
sweated blood to make something positive, and that have invested much
time, money and efforts to do that.
Regarding PIBOT, the first step is to see if it functions properly and
how it functions (IOW, what PIBOT can do?). The second step is to do an
assessment of the AGI scenario. The third step is to open and to share
the technology.
Furthermore, we are Italians. Do you know Italy? The country of sun and
see. We like good cuisine. We like to dress well. We like friendship. We
live very well in our country.