Offtopic calendrical numerology

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 05:54:42 MST

> For those who are wondering where this obsession
> with the year 2012 comes
> from... The Mayan calendar appears to be based in

I don't believe in any religion, new- or old-age, but
you can find 'significant' dates to fit almost any
time you like.

One that I like to point to is the 'True Millenium'.
A monk named Dionysius Exiguus (trans. "Dennis the
Short") around the year 525 calculated the years
since the birth of Christ. This calculation became
the basis of our current calendrical year (2006).

There are two problems with his calculation. First,
through poor records or the challenge of doing
arithmetic in Roman numerals, he got wrong by an
estimated 4-8 years. Second, the most significant
event in Christ's life was the Resurrection. Thus
the 'True Millenium', for those who like to count
in 1000 year intervals, will be in 2025-2029 by our
common calendar.

This corresponds closely with my best estimate of
the Tech Singularity timeframe, but it's a meaningless
coincidence. The only significance is that there are
a lot more current Christians than whatever religion
the Mayans had, and there may be an outbreak of
'Millenial fever' around that time among believers.

DRN