Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 17:36:14 MST

--- Joshua Fox <joshua@joshuafox.com> wrote:

> The writings at intelligence.org have made quite an
> impression on me.
>
> Though I am no expert, it appears to me that
> the Institute is a thought
> leader in the definition and the creation of
> FAI.
>
> But let me ask: Why does the Institute believe
> that it has a reasonable
> chance of leading the world in the construction
> of a GAI?

What SIAI in general and Eliezer in particular
are focused on is not merely making a GAI but
making a Friendly one, that won't extinct,
enslave, stultify or otherwise ruin us. It's that
simple. By analogy, there are fifty groups trying
to build a car, but who else is trying to develop
brakes, belts, and airbags?

Tom Buckner