Re: Biowar vs. AI as existential threat

From: Rick Geniale (rickgeniale@pibot.com)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 06:54:58 MST

Jeff Herrlich wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> What makes AI unique in this context is that it could cause our
> extinction apart from anyones desire for world domination/extinction.
> It need only be poorly programmed. So, in that sense, it poses a
> greater risk.

I don't agree about the greater risk, but I respect Jeff's opinion.

> On the other hand, I think our only real chance to avoid
> massive worldwide deaths is with a very-near-term friendly AI in
> responsible hands. This AI could disable, or destroy if necessary,
> such psychopathic "world-reformers".

I'm unable to imagine such negative scenario (honestly I don't see it,
and not because I am stupid), but I can agree about the rest of the
point (although I believe that many years of work and many specific
efforts should be oriented towards this direction).