Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 10:57:19 MST

In fact I know of a number of individuals/groups in addition to myself
who fall into this category (significant progress made toward
realizing a software implementation whose design has apparent AGI
potential), though I'm not sure which of them are list members.

In addition to my Novamente project (www.novamente.net), I would
mention Steve Omohundro

http://home.att.net/~om3/selfawaresystems.html

(who is working on a self-modifying AI system using his own variant of
Bayesian learning) and James Rogers with his
algorithmic-information-theory related AGI design (James is a list
member, but his work has been kept sufficiently proprietary that I
can't say much about it). There are many others as well...

Based on crude considerations, it would seem SIAI is nowhere near the
most advanced group on the path toward an AGI implementation. On the
other hand, it's of course possible that those of us who are "further
along" all have wrong ideas (though I doubt it!) and SIAI will come up
with the right idea in 2008 or whenever and then proceed rapidly
toward the end goal.

ben
ben