Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?

From: Kaj Sotala (xuenay@sci.fi)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 17:33:41 MST

>From Mike Dougherty:
> I point I don't understand is why anybody thinks there is an AGI "race"

There is one, though not for the reasons you describe. To be more
precise, there is a race between non-Friendly AGI and a Friendly one. If
the UFAI is built first, and a hard take-off occurs, mankind might be
doomed because the UFAI will have the chance to destroy us before
there's anything powerful enough to stop it. If the FAI is built first,
mankind might not be doomed, as the FAI is able to consolidate itself
into a position where it can stop any potential UFAI's.

Sounds like a race to me.