Re: Rate of change (was Re: 'a process of non-thinking called faith')

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 12:56:57 MST

Phil, I think it is important to look at the actual cause of technological
change and try to determine if those causes are themselves accelerating in
growth. Now of course this is controversial but I think that the cause of
technological acceleration is the growth of the number and dissemination of
ideas. The growth and dissemination of ideas corresponds directly to the
number of human minds and how well those human minds are interconnected via
communication. Science is a community effort and no one can deny that that
community has grown exponentially since its inception. The Internet is not
just an invention - it is an example of the dramatic evolution of
communication that has been taking place since the advent of language and it
continues to evolve at an exponential rate. This list is just one example of
what I am talking about. It is a simple enough technology but it is very
powerful in that it allows a large group of highly intelligent and educated
people to remain in continuous real time dialogue with an aim toward solving
a very complex and important problem. During the time period before the
advent of the Internet this would not be at all possible. The closest thing
would be snail mail but the list of people receiving mail would be far
smaller and the discussion would move far more slowly. Do you understand
what I'm saying? It's all about communication and IT - and the technologies
of communication and information tech are undoubtedly growing at an
exponential rate as is the sociological enterprise that we call Science.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson