Taking a rest from thinking about AGI stuff

From: Marc Geddes (m_j_geddes@yahoo.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 21:30:05 MST

Opps. Looks like I may have put my foot in my mouth
again on the Extropy list.

Look, it's well known I strongly disagree with the
Sing Inst approach, but Brian Atkins , Eliezer etc
deserve historical recognition for all their vision
and hard work. I apologise for any and all offensive
remarks about the Singualrity Institute and co.

Eli did bring some of the bad comments on himself you
know. In the old days he and Wilson made remarks
about many other people that were abusive and
defamatory. I really got the impression they'd like
to shoot all the other AI researchers and hobbyists in
the world. I notice they've stopped denouncing
everyone ele's ideas but I'm not sure there's been any
real change of heart.

Any way, it just doesn't pay to argue. Every one's
gonna go full steam ahead and do it their own way you
know, not matter how much time you spend screaming and
shouting.

Look, all that stuff about me trying to beat 'em and
launch an AGI soon was just me crapping of course. I
was pissed at their earlier nastiness. I am NOT in
fact EVER going to try launching my own AGI. Like I
said earlier on the list, I'm not really crazy you
know.

Any way, I'm exhausted and shattered from thinking
about all the AGI stuff. Way way way way too hard. I
had no idea. Sado-Masochism really man. Will give it
a rest and move on to something else. My advise to
other hobbyists thinking about giving it a go: Just
forget it. Like I said, I'm bowing out for the
present.

See ya round.

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last day”