Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 14:53:50 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Based on crude considerations, it would seem SIAI is nowhere near the
> most advanced group on the path toward an AGI implementation. On the
> other hand, it's of course possible that those of us who are "further
> along" all have wrong ideas (though I doubt it!) and SIAI will come up
> with the right idea in 2008 or whenever and then proceed rapidly
> toward the end goal.

A disingenuous argument, Ben; many AGI projects are farther along the
path to AI implementation than Novamente. In fact, many AGI projects
have completed implementation. Then they didn't work, as is the prior
for AGI projects, because the people who built them rushed ahead with
vague ideas of which they were very proud even though they had no
concrete idea of how intelligence would magically flow from their AI.
Don't boast of how many lines of code your project has. Demonstrate
your understanding of intelligence. Only then does your partially
completed code matter more than the already-completed code of Eurisko or
SOAR. I understand the impulse to show off one's own strong points, but
Cyc might as well boast of more funding.