Re: ESSAY: Program length, Omega and Friendliness

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 10:02:39 MST

Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> I'll grant you that all of those things combined do not seem to add
> up to the complexity of ribosomes + protien folding + physics, but
> the analogy works: the additional complexity of using DNA comes from
> the surrounding infrastructure, but computer programs *also* have
> surrounding infrastructure, especially if one is writing in a
> high-level language.

So are you granting my overall point that the total complexities of each system
in their uncompressed forms should be compared in order to make any sense? And
that attempting to directly compare compressed filesizes output between two
totally different compression systems makes little sense?

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/