Re: JOIN: Dirk Bruere

From: Dirk Bruere (dirk.bruere@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 08:02:30 MST

On 3/7/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
> > Some of you may know me, but for those who don't I'll give you a brief
> > resume.
> > My main interests, apart from scitech, are religion and politics, most
> > especially in connection with Transhumanism. In this context I am the
> > founder of the world's first Transhumanist political party. It is called
> > the Consensus ( http://www.theconsensus.org ) and is registered in the
> > UK. Business-wise I'm a partner in a VR startup in the UK, but that's
> > all secret until we launch our products later this year (hopefully). I'm
> > also peripherally involved in bringing to market a brilliant piece of
> > engineering that really will take the world by storm. Anyway, on with
> > dishing the dirt...
> >
> > Been 'constructively dismissed' from the WTA list by Hughes because he
> > did not like my political views, and kicked from Natasha's toy the ExI
> > list without warning for transgressing The Unwritten Rules (religion
> > this time). Seems like I was on double secret probation or something.
> > Spike seemed to think that using the word 'cult' anywhere within earshot
> > might have had something to do with it.
> > Third time lucky eh?
> >
> > Currently wondering whether every such org has Things That Must Not Be
> > Spoken to such a degree that they are not even mentioned in any rules. I
> > guess I'll find out:-)
>
> *blinks*
>
> Welcome to SL4, the transhumanist mailing list that is *famous* for
> instantly sniping people who trangress its Unwritten Rules. Or its
> Written Rules.
>
> Some free hints:
>
> Don't mention your religion.

Haven't so far - but better make sure then that nobody asks me, because I
*will* answer direct questions.

Don't mention the Consensus.

Quite relevent to Transhumanist discussion I would have thought.

Don't mention current events in politics.

I'm not too interested in such.

I'll be frank. I've been on wta-talk and exi-chat. I expect your
> tenure here to be brief. I will try not to actually kick you until you
> accumulate sufficient sins on SL4 rather than elsewhere. Your opening
> message came close, but didn't make the cutoff line.

Well, I'd appreciate some warning out of courtesy.
I'd also appreciate a symmetrical application of the rules eg if X is off
topic then so is !X
Unless, of course, this list is all about feelgood X without !X spoiling the
fun. ( X=Transhumanism excepted).

Dirk