Re: Unemotional posts taken as emotional

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 19:48:55 MST

I think it's good to simply not respond to emotional posts.
I think it's also good to not respond to posts emotionally.

qualifiers:
good = a subjective measure of positive or negative reinforcement for
behavior
emotional posts = those which the reader suspects were written by a
defensively reactive author
respond emotionally = allowing the reader's beliefs to obscure the writer's
intended point
it's = a contraction of "it" and "is"; effectively a declaration of supposed
state
I think = a dubious assertion in any context

If all two sentence posts required this kind of qualification, more
substantial discussion would be so tedious as to be completely unreadable.

aside to Richard - I don't think you write any more or less emotionally than
anyone else. You may fugue a bit more on the consequences than I do... I
feel it would be more of a "serious social problem" for the reader if an
email to this list would cause a negative emotional response.

I thought to add META to this subject line, but did not want to cause
another thread to start in threaded mail readers.

"I have to laugh at myself, because laughing at everyone else is considered
impolite" -me