RE: Continuity of Conscious

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 19:40:57 MST

You are a different individual every moment, but your core brain centers responsible for emerging consciousness are 99.9999% the same, not 0% as you imply. I suppose you can represent consciousness digitally just like you can model weather or any *physical* system. If your representation is accurate (ignoring quantum and some classical inaccuracy effects for the moment), you will get an accurate future prediction of the system. But a future model of the system isn't the actual future system because those little binary ones and zeroes you are using for modelling, actually represent real *physical* properties. Mass, electromagnetic forces, gravity, quantum wavefront evolutions, etc. That little sunshine button the cute weather girl points to when referring to tomorrow's sunny forecast, isn't an actual star. The physical properties our brains harness to give us awareness, are very different than are silicon logic gates being flip-flopped by electrons.

  I am much more than a collection of data and algorithms. What you are referring to is software. My brain is hardware. It runs off of multiverse *physics*, not Windows.

H C <lphege@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I also believe any upload (obviously creating a separate individual with a
>separate identity)

Every consecutive moment you are conscious you are a separate individual
with a separate identity than any other moment, if you want to put it that
way.

>must exhibit similiar chemical and electromagnetic behaviours to what we
>observe occuring in animal nervous systems, for it to possess
>consciousness.

Why not just represent the features necessary for "consciousness" digitally?
I mean either way you look at it "you" are a collection of some data and
some algorithms.