Re: BLUE GENE and confusion about flops and tops and whistles

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 21:28:56 MDT

If it isn't a crystal surface chemistry or an organic chemistry journal, I'm not interested right now. I'll have time over the next two years to "back this up" and also troll for related articles.

  What I'm saying is that there are some very simple behaviours our neurons exhibit such as synchronization, that actually have very complicated and non-intuitive underpinnings. Under a *limited* set of circumstances a synapse may act like a logic gate. But the distributed nature of synapse connections permits the functional component of consciousness to reside in murky and far from understood environments such as the amygdala and the volumes near the pituatary gland among other centers. You actually need to look at the difficult brain processees to gain any insight into the nature of consciousness even if you've found one specific incidence of computation-like synaptic behaviour near say, the optic nerve.

Mikko Särelä <msarela@cc.hut.fi> wrote:
  On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Phillip Huggan wrote:
> It is quantum mechanical synchronization in the context of meatty neural
> nets. No silicon computer corollary. Biology not software.

Do you have evidence to back this up? Preferably scientific articles in
some respected journal in neurophysiology? After all, being able to show
what you claim, certainly should be hard stuff enough to get you published
in the most prestigious journals.