Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 11:55:32 MDT

Of course I haven't read the book - but that phrase ""the Internet and the
PC are not that big a deal". And neither was Gutenberg's press or the Wright
brother's airplane. Seriously, anyone who would make such a ridiculous
statement is either a calculating sensationalist or an idiot. Not only is
technology a 'big deal' but it is such a big deal that singularitarians need
to stop apologizing for seeming 'extreme'. Anyone who understands how close
we are to SL4 technology should be a little extreme. We are facing what will
likely turnout to be either the complete destruction of mankind, in the
worst case, or, in the best case, the transformation of global human
civilization into something that is incomprehensible to us know. That is
certainly a big deal. The other funny thing about that book is his assertion
that exponential thinking about technological advancement is commonplace and
traditional.
Still though, I can't help but chuckle to myself when I hear about what
'writers' will say to mollify their audience. The author might know IT but
he's no historian of thought.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson