Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 09:51:04 MDT

Anyway, the point regarding the Singularity is not

-- that the PC and Internet are such great innovations, in themselves
(IMO, in terms of their immediate impact, they are considerably lesser
innovations than printing presses or electricity)

nor

-- that one can draw exponential curves illustrating the development
of certain technologies

The argument for the Singularity is that more radical technologies
like AGI, and powerful nanotech and genetic engineering are on their
way. The exponential curves, and the power of PC's and the Internet,
are relevant to the Singularity only as part of the overall
qualitative argument. What Kurzweil did in his book is to lay out the
qualitative argument in a straightforward and digestible way. I think
that in his presentation, Kurzweil over-hypes the exponential curves
aspect, but even so, he does present the qualitative argument quite
competently.

-- Ben