Re: AI Goals [WAS Re: The Singularity vs. the Wall]

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 10:31:49 MDT

Ricardo Barreira wrote:
> What about uncounscious (fulfilled automatically) goals which you can
> articulate if you know about them. For example, breathing. You also
> need a category for that. But I bet that there are already tons of
> detailed studies about this.

That's true in a way: I hadn't really thought to go down that far. I
guess we have some control over breathing, but on the other hand it is
usually pretty automatic. I am not sure that is really a "motivation"
or a "goal", though: more a simple automatic system that we can
interfere with if we want to (you wouldn't do a subgoal on the breathing
goal....).

I am sure there are many studies, but the stuff I have read has been
always from the wrong point of view (not enough emphasis on getting
these mechanisms to work in an actual cognitive system). When I
introspect my own system, I seem to notice many subtle motivations that
get hardly a mention in the literature that I have seen: psychologists
are a little timid about this area because it is hard to do experiments,
so they limit what they will consider.

I am open to interesting reference suggestions if anyone has any.

Richard Loosemore