Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 12:30:16 MDT

To give just a hint of how these distinctions manifest themselves in a
fleshed-out AGI design, in Novamente:

1) items in all memory units are associated with various importance
indices, e.g. "short term importance", "medium term importance", "long
term importance" -- and these indices are continuous-valued not
discrete

2) in additional to the main memory unit, there is also a specialized
unit of the memory devoted only to items with very high short or
medium term importance [but note that a memory, if represented as a
distributed pattern across many elementary knowledge-items, may
sometimes be present in this specialized unit but only to a lesser
degree than in the main memory unit]

3) there are units of the memory corresponding to particular
"interaction channels", containing memory items recently useful for
dealing with that interaction channel (this covers perception/action
specific STM)

4) in all units of the memory, there are caches that enable rapid
access to recently accessed items [another kind of "STM", one could
say]

We have not tried to imitate the way the human brain handles the
STM/LTM distinction (which no one really understands) but have tried
to handle it in a rational and workable manner.

-- Ben G