Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 13:31:30 MDT

Woody,

Certainly, the goal of the Novamente design is to have a full semantic
understanding of the world around it.

Right now, the existing Novamente system is pretty dumb in practical
terms -- we are teaching it stuff like how to play fetch and the fact
that object still exist when it's not looking at them. However, the
learning algorithms in the system are very powerful (as has been shown
by applying them in data mining and other domains besides AGI), and we
believe that as we further build out the architecture and teach the
system it will get smarter and smarter, in the manner of a human baby.

But, even the current NM system's understanding is better described as
semantic than syntactic, since it is interpreting percepts and
generating actions based on it a desire to achieve goals using its
simulated embodiment, rather than just operating within a disembodied
formal system.

-- Ben