Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 10:17:10 MDT

Danni and Mikko,

With the greatest of respect to you both, I have to say that you are not
addressing the point that I made.

Printing, PCs and the rest are just optimizations of human potential:
yes, fantastic in the context of the first 500,000 years of our species,
but all previous invention was done by human brains, and the impact on
human brain creativity and productivity has been *relatively* (and I use
the word with precision here) small compared to what would happen if the
creative process were transferred to new kinds of minds that operated at
speeds much greater than our own.

For example: suppose we could build minds that simply worked at a
million times the speed of our own (not necessary smarter, just faster).
  That would mean that one of these minds could achieve everything that
Einstein did in his entire career in about 10 minutes. A billion times
faster machine could do all of that in half a minute.

Or, looking at it a different way, if someone had managed to complete a
superintelligent AGI on, say, January 1st 1670, just after Newton
discovered the laws of motion, ALL of the scientific progress that has
happened between then and now would have been finished by January 2nd
(assuming that we conservatively restrict the self-improvement potential
to a factor one billion).

I'm sorry, but newfangled gadgets and superduper user interfaces are not
(without AGI) ever going to improve our efficiency so much that humans
will be able to do that.

(And one could not argue that some kind of non-AGI "brain accelerator"
might give us that, because if we understood brains well enough to build
such a thing, we would be able to build an AGI).

When it becomes possible, for the first time, to build something that
generates new knowledge in such a way that it is not limited by the
speed of the human brain, then you're just not in Kansas any more.

There is one other point that connects with this: the improvements we
have seen so far might be approaching a human-brain-limited point
anyway. What that means is that it doesn't matter what all those lovely
exponential curves from previous technologies are saying, we might be
approaching a plateau right now (AGI excepted, of course).

Richard Loosemore