RE: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Bob Seidensticker (bob@future-hype.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 13:26:48 MDT

Damien: You raise a good point. Specific predictions are often wrong
("We'll be using beams of light to send telephone signals wirelessly by
1990"), but the general idea (we'll have wireless telephony by the late 20th
century) is often correct. Eliezer's observation that "Careful futurism is
rarely popular, popular futurism is rarely careful" is excellent.

My concern: where does this stop? Do you give a pass to the 1930s
predictions of fleets of zeppelins because we *did* get fleets of airplanes?
Or of 1950s predictions of huge nuclear-powered oil tanker submarines
because we have oil tanker ships? If your criteria for success is wide
enough, lots of things will pass. Perhaps the question is: if you take what
eventually happened and show it to the original predictors, would they be
satisfied or surprised? I simply want to hold futurists accountable rather
than bending over backwards and saying that they were right in spirit even
if laughably off in fact.