RE: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Bob Seidensticker (bob@future-hype.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 13:43:24 MDT

Dani: In 2004, Pres. Bush proposed to return astronauts to the moon in 16
years. That's twice as long as from Kennedy's speech to the 1969 moon
landing, and (more important) we now know how to do it! Of course, you
could respond that with some streamlining of the NASA bureaucracy, a clear
vision, and lots of money, NASA could perform miracles again. But that's
the point -- it's not a matter of when. We aren't exponentially collapsing
the time it takes to do things. When all the obstacles are out of the way,
impressive things can happen (1969 moon landing, 1940s Manhattan Project).
When they aren't, things slow down (your example of the Space Station).

Good example on the videophone. Nevertheless, the videophone predictions of
the 1960s were wrong, wouldn't you agree?