RE: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Bob Seidensticker (bob@future-hype.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 10:50:37 MDT

Michael:
Well, let's see if I can evaluate the past. We saw explosive change in
airplanes in the early 1900s, from biplanes through jet airplanes.
Obviously, supersonic passenger planes would continue that exponential
progress, right? Nope. The SST was a bust, as was the Concorde. We fly
today at about the same speed at the dawn of the Jet Age, 50 years ago. Has
there been change in passenger aviation since the 50s? Of course. But the
exponential phase has closed.

Look at skyscrapers -- 4x increase in record skyscraper height in the 40
years leading up to the Empire State Building in 1931. Then no increase in
record height in the next 40 years.

Look at the printing press -- explosive growth in the second half of the
1400s (10M new printed books). Then the amount of change quieted for a few
centuries. Then, more explosive change in the early 1800s, when steam
increased printing speeds 100x, giving us the penny newspaper. And then
that, in turn, quieted down.

Railroads -- exponential growth with track miles doubling every decade for 6
decades. Not so anymore. Telephone. Electricity. Cars and trucks. They
all have their equivalent of a Moore's Law period, that lasts for a while,
and then it quiets down.

Yes, today we have explosive growth in some areas of technology. But we
don't in most of them. It's been like that for 200 years. That's why I say
that change has been (very roughly) constant since the Industrial
Revolution.

Bob