Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 13:40:26 MDT

Richard,

Eliezer is correct about this particular technical point of empirical
psychology: no matter how you slice it, humans do habitually make
stupid errors involving uncertainty quantification, even in very
simple contexts like the questions he cited. The kinds of objections
you have raised have been addressed pretty extensively in the
psychology literature; Eli was just citing some simple example
experiments, but there are mannnnny others addressing nearly any
possible objection.... Modern cognitive psychology may suck at
mind-theory but it's good at designing subtle experiments...

I think your point may have been that human judgment has been
evolutionarily tuned to solve different sorts of problems than these,
which is also true. Human judgment can solve problems that no current
probability-theory-based inference engine can now solve (though this
may change any year now -- just you wait!!). However, this
observation doesn't show that humans solve these problems with a
particularly high accuracy -- probably we make errors involving
uncertainty quantifications when solving the more complex and tricky
and specialized problems we have evolved to solve, as well.

My own view is that, among other strengths, the human reasoning
faculty contains very creative and clever heuristics for hypothesis
formation. We just happen to be pretty badly inaccurate at evaluating
the likelihood of the hypotheses we generate based on the available
evidence. On the other hand, existing probability-theory-based
inference engines have exactly the opposite strengths and weaknesses.

-- Ben G