Re: Changing the value system of FAI

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 18:53:48 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:
>> We know what the Godelian restrictions are - but there's a
>> difference between knowing that, and being able to say that Godelian
>> restrictions imply limitations for AIs.
>
> They do imply limitations for AI's (or any other finite systems) but
> the question is how relevant these limitations are to the issues that
> interest us (e.g. ongoing Friendliness thru iterated radical
> self-modification). I don't know...

What I'm saying is, tell me something I can't *do* because of Godel -
not something I can't *believe*, or can't *assert*, but something I
can't *do*. Show me a real-world optimization problem I'll have trouble
solving - like a difficult challenge that causes me to need to rewrite
my own source code, which I can't do because of Godelian consideration
XYZ... This is the sense in which I know the Godelian restrictions, but
I can't yet say that they imply limitations for AIs.