Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 17:17:29 MDT

Pleasurable states of mind are preferable than are both the absence of mind and mental states of suffering. As you may reflect fondly upon a past memory even though by recollecting you do not experience the memory again first-hand, you may reflect fondly upon seeing some of yourself in others (and recoil in horror at perceived differences).
  I know (some) other people have worth because many of the same values I hold are shared in the experiences of others. I honestly doubt you've explored philosophy in depth if you hold to nihilism unless you are presently suffering from physical trauma.

m.l.vere@durham.ac.uk wrote:
  Why does anyone have morals, or believe that other people/sentients have
intrisnic worth?