Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism

From: m.l.vere@durham.ac.uk
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 04:57:16 MDT

Quoting Phillip Huggan <cdnprodigy@yahoo.com>:

> Pleasurable states of mind are preferable than are both the absence of mind
> and mental states of suffering. As you may reflect fondly upon a past memory
> even though by recollecting you do not experience the memory again
> first-hand, you may reflect fondly upon seeing some of yourself in others
> (and recoil in horror at perceived differences). I know (some) other
people .have worth because many of the same values I
> hold are shared in the experiences of others.

This is all derived from self interest and others as a means to your ends as
opposed to their *intrisnic* moral worth. A moral nihilist could have all your
pleasurable states of mind by recognising this (as I do) and suspending his
disbelief most of the time - without cleaving blindly to moralistic dogma.

For the record, I define nihilist as 'one who holds no belief however
widespread, not supported by proof'.

> I honestly doubt you've
> explored philosophy in depth if you hold to nihilism unless you are presently
> suffering from physical trauma.

Argumentum ad hominem. w00t.