Re: No you idiot... (was Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism)

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 18:02:08 MDT

As a memory it is no longer relevant except in a weak derivative form. Once the 1st hand experience has elapsed it holds no direct value. It is the experiences of conscious actors *in the present* that give the universe objectivity. Morality pertains to how you use the resources under your disposal to affect the experiences of the sum of conscious actors in the universe.
  I don't give a shit whether your innate or environmental or (self-)educational (the biggest biases for better or worse are found in the learning category) value biases recognize others or merely yourself. But the fact that you are selfish does not mean there aren't others who are benevolent. It certainly doesn't mean an AGI can't be programmed that is or behaves like it is benevolent. This isn't a list to seek existential meaning.

m.l.vere@durham.ac.uk wrote:
  'The searing pain' now exists only as the memory to which i am refering.

Would you please prove to me how altering/affecting the CNS of *other* people
causes an objectively moral action - or why i should care (other than in terms
of reciprocity).