Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism (EP)

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 01:56:52 MDT

On 5/15/06, Charles D Hixson <charleshixsn@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Xenophobia, in a mild form, is useful to split the tribe into groups
> that act separately and divide the hunting areas. I'd be really
> surprised if it turned out that they often fought seriously before the
> invention of the arrow, or possibly the spear-thrower, and by that time
> we were pretty much evolved into modern form.

Be really surprised: genocidal war has been extensively observed and
documented among chimpanzees.

That said, this doesn't appear to me to relate significantly to the
> instincts that we should create for the AI that we build.

In reality, AI will be built as a tool, not a person; the basic instinct
when it gets to the point where it can be connected to real-world machinery
(I don't expect to live long enough to see that, though I'd be delighted to
be wrong) will have to be "safety first".