Re: the future god, light cones and free will

From: Ricardo Barreira (rbarreira@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 14:16:10 MDT

> "Whether God Is or Will Be is equivalent in truth."
>
> Following through on this from an SL4 perspective:
> - A future post-human jupiter-brain hive-mind eschaton etc can be termed as
> being equivalent to the presently popular perception of 'god' - All knowing,
> all seeing, all powerful, all singing and dancing yada yada yada.

I don't think so. The popular view of god is of something which is
everywhere at the same time and can affect everything instantly. So,
are you saying that the jupiter brain built everything and can affect
things without any speed limit? I think the only possibility would
really be that the universe is god - can a posthuman effort take over
all the atoms? Is that even possible? (ignoring the fact that the
concept of an omnipotent being is something self-contradictory)

> It's a rather
> mortifying prospect to think that the pope has a better handle on posthuman
> superintelligence than I do.

Why the pope and not a representative of other religions? What's the
probability of that being true? ;)

> Taking this premise a little bit further throws up a couple more
> propositions:
> - Future god isn't going to mess with it's own historical light cone. Hence
> no visitations, obelisks, miracles of note, etc. i.e. no possible validation
> of the hypothesis. Even if you did come close to proving future god will
> exist, said god might have something eschation-style to say about it.
> Suffice to say I'll need more than dodgy waffling in order to suddenly pop
> out of existence :-). Now if only the same could not be said for the ID
> people...
> - If future god comes about via AGI, then a good portion of you bunch are
> its direct progenitors.

Why? Sorry, I didn't get that one. Also, why only "a good portion"?

> - Free will: if you've got it, then you probably don't matter in
> future-god/agi terms.

Why? Couldn't I be simultaneously the cause and the effect of a future
agi which would affect the past?

> (All very bluesky/scifi but hopefully an interesting thought expirement
> nonetheless...)

Undoubtedly interesting, but filled with logical holes as far as I can tell! ;)

Ricardo