Re: Learning math...

From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg (tennessee@tennessee.id.au)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 02:56:00 MDT

Neural networks are interesting especially because of their largely failed
introduction into computing. There are some success stories, but they tend
to be exhibited in specific components rather than as great generalisers. I
find this interesting.

You might like to google for "rats flight simulators" to read about the rat
brain-in-a-vat that can fly a plane, and look at
http://www.livescience.com/technology/060424_ap_tongue_soldiers.html. These
articles, while not technical, give you an experimental view of brain
science that works now.

The maths behind neural networks is, actually, quite simple. My AI textbook
from Uni covers it briefly and neatly. A bayesian network is not really so
complex that it cannot be understood; nor is a neural network. The
complexity comes not from the componentry, but from the functioning of
larger systems.

I feel that the most relevant parts of AGI study would be to research
structures -- especially any self-organising structures -- that may occur
within larger learning networks.

Cheers,
-T