Re: Imposing ideas, eg: morality

From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg (tennessee@tennessee.id.au)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 03:03:48 MDT

I propose that we take this the hell out of SL4 and into some
philoso-ranting list. I agree that it's relevant to the issue, but I don't
feel like it's got a damn thing to do with AGI beyond the obvious
fundamental debate on the issue.

Here's my response.

1.) Moral relatavism. Bummer, huh?
2.) AGIs have a lot of power, don't they?
3.) ???
4.) Profit

I think that if you resolve the fundamental questions surrounding moral
relativism, you'll also resolve the AGI debate. If morality is objective,
and that's discoverably, provably so, then we have nothing we can rightfully
worry about from an AGI system.

If morality is objective, but (a) hard to discover and (b) easy to mistake,
then we're in trouble. But we're less in trouble than an AGI, which is
presumably more able to deal with (a) and less likely to fall for (b).

If morality is purely relative, then by definition we cannot instill an AGI
with our own morality (otherwise it would, from the perspective of the AGI
at least, be objective -- a given)

Q1.) Can we take our relative morality and make it objective for the AGI?
Not without understanding AGI we can't. Hmmm, tough one.
Q2.) Can we force an AGI to value our relative morality, or at least our
desires? Not without understanding AGI we can't. Hmm, tough one.

As you can see, this problem boils down to two things:
  (a) Debates about morality
  (b) Understanding AGI

I suggest that (a) is not SL4 or easily solvable, and that (b) is what we
should concern ourself with?