Re: the future god, light cones and free will

From: kevin.osborne (kevin.osborne@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 08:25:50 MDT

>> - If future god comes about via AGI, then a good portion of you bunch are
>> its direct progenitors.
>Why? Sorry, I didn't get that one. Also, why only "a good portion"?

The SL4 list seems to be as good a forum for hearing what AGI
developers are thinking as any. I guess the hope is that the
back-and-forth on this list is actually contributing to the forward
momentum of (friendly) AGI emergence. Hopefully it isn't just
distracting otherwise crucial AGI architects from the work of getting
things done - I guess the ones who do get sidetracked would be the
"other portion" ;-)

>> - Free will: if you've got it, then you probably don't matter in
>> future-god/agi terms.
>Why? Couldn't I be simultaneously the cause and the effect of a future
>agi which would affect the past?
I guess in a many worlds scenario a future-god using you for effect
would mean it constructing a differing resultant future of note. this
comes back to:

>> - Future god isn't going to mess with it's own historical light cone.
>Why not?
Where FG isn't going to unravel it's own resultant future by undoing
anything in it's "critical path" - crux events that must occur in a
given sequence or pattern to arrive at its emergence (or
transcendence, if you will). If a FG-precursory crux event involves
you getting squished by a bus in all possible universes, then, well,
*splat*.

Either way the "simultaneous cause and the effect" circular reference
is a cogent point, helping to dismiss the while god is/was/will-be
question as moot and not something that will bear fruit from further
consideration... definitely a result I'm happy with. The populist in
me thinks it could be a great little recruiter though...

>The physics are there to potentially permit limited free-will
(defined as: a brain selecting or >originating history lines based
upon abstract imagination of a desired future)
Imagination feels like it is such a core concept, both in the
deterministic-vs-dice physics arguments and the encapusulation of
conciousness into an AGI. The myriad, seemingly pointless,
scenes+scenarios+schemas which go through a persons head have an
amazing richness. I love having someone who has just awoken descibe
their dreams to me - they are so often an amazing tapestry woven into
incredible uniqueness before being forgotten forever - little
universes expnaded from nothing and then returned to the void. I both
cringe when thinking of trying to code the framework underlying
imagination and revel in it when questioning my own 'free will'.

One way to view block-time/many-worlds in all this is maybe that there
are blocks of spacetime which bound eachother with myriad vertices and
edges composed of these 'crux' points - things which are just plain
going-to-happen in an unavoidable, deterministic manner. But within
these polygonal 'blocks' are 'free' areas of many-worlds spacetime
where a given route to a block-ending crux is open to alternate paths
in a morass of possible events. The universe doesn't really care
whether you dreamed of jolie or aniston, ate eggs or toast, took the
bus or the subway. But it does care that you were in the hallway at
15:09:34 and 8/29ths of a second when a convergent spacetime point of
value was resolved and you stepped on a cute co-workers foot.

And I guess 'crux' points could come with a probability. AGI could be
likely, FG maybe not so - probability would be tied to the range of
the forecast and the complexity or uniqueness of lead-up events
required.

Certain events would have a 'weight' to them, a gravity related to
their significance creating a momentum of converging precursors
leading to a little mini-singularity of 'rightness' as the universe
has a little orgasm of reality-expression. I guess the big bang would
truly be multi-orgasmic under this scenario :-)