Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism

From: Martin Striz (mstriz@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 13:37:28 MDT

On 5/16/06, Phillip Huggan <cdnprodigy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you want to classify physical EM fields as computation, IMO you need to
> utilize the fields themselves in your computer substrate.

The parts that constitute computation are the firing patterns.

Can't signal processing be performed on any substrate? The mind can
do edge identification, but so can Photoshop. Everything else is a
matter of complexity and implementation. Not every detail needs to be
mapped feature for feature to get the job done.

> So a Turing
> computer would need to be enhanced with the capability to "warp" the local
> vacuum state as our brains do.

What on earth do you base this on? Data please.

> I don't know if you'd need a protein computer, but it would certainly have
> to be carbon-based.

That's an astounding conclusion. I bet all self-organizing systems
need to be carbon based too.

Martin