META: Shock levels (Re: SL3/4)

From: Joel Pitt (joel.pitt@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 19:12:32 MDT

On 5/26/06, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au> wrote:
> SL4 for the easily shocked, SL3 for the hardened futurists. For someone
> like me, corroborating evidence is a big deal, and I thought this story
> was very interesting. It covers robotic control through an MRI machine.
> Details are sketchy -- does anyone have any information on where this
> story came from?

Just in case people forgot, shock levels are not relative to someone's
experience with future tech. To quote
http://www.sl4.org/shocklevels.html :

"A Shock Level measures the high-tech concepts you can contemplate
without being impressed, frightened, blindly enthusiastic - without
exhibiting future shock."

I think this story is cool, but I don't think it is more than SL2.

--
-Joel
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."