Re: [agi] Re: Superrationality

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 11:11:13 MDT

Pearl's book on causality is a nice one, but I don't think that his
idea of causality fully encompasses the (very useful) folk-psychology
notion of causation.

Basically, the crux of Pearl's definition of causality rests on his
distinction between

P(Y|X)

and what he calls

P(Y | do(X) )

This is certainly important, and any AGI system had better be able to
reason separately and effectively about these two sorts of conditional
probabilities. But it's not all there is to the human notion of
causation...

And, more to the point, I don't think Pearl's (or any other) model of
causality is *necessary* for understanding the various logical puzzles
and paradoxes we've been discussing in this thread, though perhaps it
may provide a useful perspective.

More later,
Ben