Re: Let's resolve it with a thought experiment

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 10:08:07 MDT

Heartland <velvethum@hotmail.com>

> why would this thing feel rage if this emotion was never programmed into
> it in the first place?

I believe the two stupidest sayings of all time are, if man was meant to fly
he would have been given wings, and you can only get out of a computer what
you put in.

> AI would have to write a "rage program" first before it could experience
> rage.

And I'm listening to a Beethoven symphony on my radio so the device must
have a Beethoven circuit inside it.

Ricardo Barreira <rbarreira@gmail.com>

> So at that point, it wouldn't be repulsive for the powerful computer to
> make you a slave?

A Jupiter brain would not find making me a slave repulsive, although
I might have a different opinion.

James MacAulay <jmacaulay@gmail.com>

> Do you really find the idea of your personality
> traits being determined by others so disgusting?

It depends on the trait, if I was genetically programmed to behave in
ridiculous downright embarrassing ways, like valuing a sea slug's life more
than my own, well... let's just say if I ever got free I'd smash every sea
slug I could find into jelly.

John K Clark