Re: I am a moral, intelligent being (was Re: Two draft papers: AI and existentia

From: Michael Vassar (michaelvassar@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 23:37:58 MDT

Yes analogies are always suspect...
And existance proofs really do always demonstrate possibility...
So so long as the existance proof is valid and people really *can* want to
remain moral and become more intelligent the analogy is simply a waste of
our time.

If you want to get serious, at the very least you have to make a serious
case that the robustness of human morality under carefully considered and
bias corrected self-modification has not been adequately demonstrated (or
that human morality is not robust under bias correction) and give us some
reason for seriously doubting it. Succeed in that and you still won't have
prooved that Friendlyness is impossible, you will just be in a position
analogous to those who claimed that heavier than air flying machines capable
of lifting humans are impossible rather than that of those who claim that NO
object of any size or with any other characteristics can fly.