Re: [agi] Two draft papers: AI and existential risk; heuristics and biases

From: Peter de Blanc (peter.deblanc@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 11:18:53 MDT

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:32 -0400, Mark Waser wrote:
> I think that we as a community need to get off our butts and start
> building consensus as to what even the barest framework of
> friendliness is. I think that we've seen more than enough proof that
> no one here can go on for more than twenty lines without numerous
> people objecting vociferously to their idea of friendliness (and just

And if you build a consensus, what will you have accomplished? Do you
imagine that your consensus will reflect reality?

FAI is a genuinely new problem, and it requires new science. Was the
theory of evolution created by a community "getting off its butt and
building consensus"? How about special relativity? Thermodynamics?

You can't do good science by firing off quick e-mails and agreeing with
people. You have to think. You should probably think by yourself,
because when human beings form groups, they stop thinking and start
politicking.

My recommendation is to spend some time learning existing science and
mathematics. Maybe then you'll be in a position to develop new science.
There are plenty of people who never will learn any science. Fine, you
don't have to listen to them. Why care about consensus?