Re: Two draft papers: AI and existential risk; heuristics and biases

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 12:12:34 MDT

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:58:29PM -0500, Bill Hibbard wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> > > I address this issue in my 2005 on-line paper:
> > >
> > > The Ethics and Politics of Super-Intelligent Machines
> > > http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/SI_ethics_politics.doc
> > >
> > > There exists a form of happiness that is not drug-induced
> > > ecstasy.
> >
> > I read all of the paragraphs with the word "happiness" in them.
> > I see nothing that addresses this issue even in the slightest.
>
> My paper discusses the difference between hedonic and eudiamonic
> from the reference:
>
> Ryan, R.M. and Deci, E.L. 2001. On happiness and human
> potentials: A review of research on hedonic and eudiamonic
> well-being. Annual Review of Psychology 52, 141-166.

That helps me little.

> and makes the point that the SI should use "expression of
> long-term life satisfaction rather than immediate pleasure."

Latching on the pleasure centers *is* long term life satisfaction.

Or latch on the "satisfaction centers", or whatever.

> Here's a way to think about it. From your post you clearly would
> not do anything to permanently turn on human pleasure centers.
> This is based on your recogition of human expressions of happiness
> and your internal model of human mental procoesses and what makes
> them happy. Given that the SI will have as accurate recognition of
> expressions of happiness as you (my point 1) and as good an
> internal model of what makes humans happy as you (my points 5 and
> 6), then why would the SI do something to humans that you can
> clearly see they would not want?

Because *I* care about what people say they want.

You AI only cares about what makes people happy.

I have a complex, rich moral system.

Your AI only has reinforcement of "make humans happy".

It's not enough. It doesn't matter how you patch it, it's not
enough.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/