Re: KILLTHREAD

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 05:02:43 MDT

--- John K Clark <jonkc@att.net> wrote:

> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
>
> > the Killthread wasn't for that, but because
> of the apparent
> >< sliding into ad hominem
>
> I don't give a hoot in hell about "ad hominen",
> the very phrase sounds
> ridiculously and comical to my ears. Let me
> publicly state that I agree
> anybody and everybody is allowed to call me any
> disgusting name they can
> think of and I will not complain. I'll survive.

Yep, that's called Crocker's Rules; it's in the
wiki, I'm sure. The problem with pure ad hominem
is that it lowers the signal-to-noise ratio and
cries out for killthread. Put it another way:
suppose this were the interoffice E-mail at NASA
dedicated to building that rocketship to save the
human race before Worlds Collide. How much of
that interoffice E-mail should be wasted on flame
wars or irrelevant gab about old technologies not
central to building the rocket? Ideally, none.
Hence killthreads.

> No, that does not even hint
> at what disturbs me. What profoundly distresses
> me is that you (someone
> I very much admire) refuse to discuss the very
> foundations of SL4 or your
> philosophy.
>
> John K Clark

I suspect you are asking for that which can again
be found piecemeal in a hundred old posts and
which the chief rocketship engineers don't have
time to reiterate.

Tom Buckner