intelligence explosion

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 16:51:29 MDT

At 02:52 PM 7/15/2006 -0700, Eliezer wrote:

>I have recently been trying to consistently use the term
>"intelligence explosion" rather than "Singularity" because the
>latter term has just been abused too much.

Ah, the Intelligence Explosion Institute for Artificial Intelligence
Explosion. Well, it's... catchy (cough). But is it optimal for public
discussion? Explosions can put people off. Besides, an explosion
tends to scatter widely the material originally tucked up tightly, it
doesn't add to or concentrate what was originally there. (Yes, I
know, you're thinking of "combinatorial explosion" and the like, but
still.) What about something that expresses directly the key idea of
rapidly growing density and power? "Runaway" or "excursion" or
"escalation" surely don't help the PR problem either.
"Amplification"? Not quite the point. "Enlargement"? "Magnification"?
Nope. "Fast/major/large-scale/significant/unprecedented expansion"?
Not really. But not "explosion", please.

Damien Broderick