RE: CNN article with Bostrom interview and Kurzweil quotes

From: Karl Jennings (karljennings@usa.net)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 14:11:27 MDT

What good is there in outliving all the stars in the universe? What good is
there in dying before you have to?

There is a fine line between humility and acquiescence. The one is a
necessary check against unfettered hubris; the other is what keeps sentient
beings just a step above beasts. What you call humility sounds to me a lot
like acquiescence. Why not accept your limited time on the stage,
especially when there's another showing right after the matinee? Because
transhumanists aren't just rehashing All's Well That Ends Well, we're hoping
to write the sequel. You may be comforted by a universe of endless
repetition. I certainly am not, and I have a good life. G-d help those
doomed to an endless repetition of a life of pain and suffering, not to
mention war and holocaust.

Is there a limit to our transcendent status? Who knows? Why did we ever
leave the caves? Why did we invent writing? Why go to school? The answers
seem so obvious to me that the questions seem silly. We are beings with
innate curiosity and a hunger for knowledge. As long as there is more to
know there is reason to keep the play going. I don't know the limits of
human and post-human potential, but I do know the limits of those who don't
try.

You wrote: "Even if I could create or destroy universes at will, that still
would not make me G-d. Extremely intelligent-- yes. Extremely powerful --
yes. But still not G-d."

Perhaps not, but it would sure make you a hell of a lot more *relevant* than
G-d to the inhabitants of those universes.

You wrote: "The best answer that I can come up with for justifying infinite
transcendence is that it would be fun! What other purpose is there once
you've crossed the boundary of all necessity?"

What is the purpose of *anything* once you cross the boundary of *bare*
necessity? Maybe "fun" is the only purpose. Maybe it's just a by-product.
I'm no great philosopher, but I do know that life, if nothing else, is
evolution and survival. Maybe "fun" is the reward for those who evolve and
survive the best. Death and endless repetition, while maybe my ultimate
fate, sound hellish enough to at least try to avoid. And if we can't avoid
being a re-run, then we should darn well make our episode a pleasurable one.

  _____