Re: "Mysterious quasar casts doubt on black holes"

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2006 - 23:22:13 MDT

I'm not an expert by a longshot, but it does appear that there are still some
potentially valid hypotheses other than black holes for explaining what happens
in highly concentrated areas of large mass. Besides the MECO idea, there are
also gravastars and dark energy stars aka quantum critical shells. Oh, and we
may be living inside a spinning one:

Also in other news there may possibly be a pair of supermassive black holes in
the middle of our galaxy instead of just one, and this could explain
hypervelocity stars recently discovered shooting out of our galaxy, which
conveniently may be able to help test various dark matter halo ideas:

http://www-astro.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ognedin/hvs_newscientist.txt

And we may be able to create dark matter using lasers: