Re: Accepting mortality WAS bickering

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 10:38:31 MDT

On 7/26/06, Olie Lamb <neomorphy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Below...
>
> I've long thought it a pity that Transhumanists-in-general put such
> emphasis on staving off death. An excessive fear of death has long
> seemed to me to be an indicator of... I don't know whether
> "childishness" or "lack of wisdom" is the better way to put it.

I've long thought it a pity that non-transhumanists equate trying to
conquer death with a childish fear of death and a lack of wisdom.
This is like saying Sir Edmund Hillary had a childish fear of
mountains.

There are reasons why over-attachment to one personal consciousness is
problematic... but I'm unlikely to discuss them with someone who says
that accepting mortality is wisdom. Not because that statement is
wrong, but because, in decades of discussing the matter, I have so far
found that
a) many people explain their acceptance of mortality as wisdom, and
b) not one of those people was wise.

- Phil