Re: Google wins

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 17:58:16 MDT

IMO all these things (data, hardware) are close to irrelevant -- the
only thing that matters is having a viable design for an AGI, and
having resources to implement it in software. If you have this, and
you implement your AGI, then odds are you can ally with someone who
has computing power and data.

If Google uses their vast $$ to hire creative AGI researchers, maybe
they really will win the race to AGI --- but anyway, their computing
power and data stores will just be conveniences along the path, the
key thing will be if they fund a team of AGI researchers and give them
leeway to spend a lot of time theorizing and playing with hardware and
data rather than just working directly on immediately-product-related
projects...

So far Google does NOT seem to be following this pattern, in their
hiring. They are swallowing up computational linguists but not AGI
researchers. If I see them following this pattern I will definitely
let you know!!

-- Ben