Re: hive mind

From: Mikko Särelä (msarela@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 11:39:17 MDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Charles D Hixson wrote:
> Mikko Särelä wrote:
> > Definitely not SL4, but consider following. Our brains consist of
> > neurons, which form up modules which communicate with each other. The
> > outcome, to us, seems like one mind, mostly because the communication
> > bandwidth between the modules is high enough to rapidly transfer
> > information and to create a common interpretation of things. Now
> > consider upping the communication bandwidth with your fellow human
> > being from what it is currently, keep upping and upping, until you
> > reach the same bandwidth and delay properties you have within one
> > brain. What do you think will happen?
> >
> To have the result that you are envisioning you would need to combine
> not merely communication, but also effectors and sensorium. This
> becomes possible, but not inevitable, with a mere increase in
> communication.

You are forgetting that the communication bandwidth between the brains is
large enough so that you can send every single bit of sensory information
to the 'other brain' if you want to. And who cares where the calculation
that results in an effector operating resides?

--
Mikko Särelä	http://thoughtsfromid.blogspot.com/
    "Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travelling." Aristotle