Re: hive mind

From: Joel Pitt (joel.pitt@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 19:11:22 MDT

On 8/1/06, Mikko Särelä <msarela@cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> Our brains consist of neurons, which form up modules which communicate
> with each other. The outcome, to us, seems like one mind, mostly because
> the communication bandwidth between the modules is high enough to rapidly
> transfer information and to create a common interpretation of things.
>
> Now consider upping the communication bandwidth with your fellow human
> being from what it is currently, keep upping and upping, until you reach
> the same bandwidth and delay properties you have within one brain. What do
> you think will happen?

This is well and good when you increase the communication bandwidth
between several or maybe thousands of humans, but trying to replicate
the same bandwidth within a human brain to all other human brains is
likely to be impossible due to the exponential increase of neural
links required.

Linking every thought and sensation to every other brain will either
cause us to turn into blubbering messes or consume all available
matter through the creation of support networks.

I suspect it will be possible to be absorbed into cliques of human
minds, but there will always be seperation or a lower bandwidth
between these cliques.

--
-Joel
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."