Re: CNN article with Bostrom interview and Kurzweil quotes

From: Joel Pitt (joel.pitt@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 20:23:59 MDT

On 7/30/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Joel Pitt wrote:
> > If we accept mortality then we could all just suicide and save
> > ourselves alot of trouble. Plus save alot of earth's resources for
> > species that don't have this existential question with living.
>
> Huh? How does this follow? I don't expect to be around forever, at
> least not in a matter that I today would recognize as still "me".
> But I am sure not in any hurry to end. This is a false dichotomy. I
> put not a little energy into being around as long as possible. I
> support efforts to extend life span indefinitely.

I've clarified off list to others about what I mean when "accepting mortality".
I believe we are at the cusp of living indefinitely and don't believe
we should accept mortality as a certainty of the world - as some
religious groups would like us to.
For me Benjamin Franklin's quote is now reduced to only taxes being certain :)

> > And about God - that is YPOV. If I had the power you speak of then I
> > don't think some mere mortal human is going to argue that I'm not a
> > God.
>
> Personally I find it distasteful and silly that tiny brained mortals
> are even quibbling about such.

Humans conceived the idea of Gods - thus I don't see why humans
quibbling about such things are distasteful. I'm also taking the
position that I'm immortal until such time as it seems unlikely that
I'll survive long enough to apply life extension technologies to my
body. (So if I die in a car crash tomorrow then I'll worry about being
mortal ;P).

--
-Joel
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."